Thursday, October 25, 2007

Classic vs. Revisionist


All the western movies can be divided into two different catagories: Classic and Revisionist. Most of the older movies are classic; for example Stage Coach, and most of the recent ones are Revisionist; for example Unforgiven, and 310 to Yuma. The revisinist westerns are more violent, crueler, darker,and deeper. Personally I like the Revisionist movies for these reasons. I think classic movies are too slow, too easy to predict the outcome, the technologies are not up to date, and I am not a fan of Black and White films. Stage Coach was pretty decent for a classis movie, my favorite part was the coach shootout against the Indians. But Unforgiven was far better, I liked how in the beginning Will was a pig farmer, and went back to shooting, which he was good at. I also like the character of Munny, who thinks he is the most powerful man on earth. If it weren't for the revisionist movies, western wouldn't be as famous as it is now.

No comments: